PLEASE BRING SAMPLES TO
PREBYTERIAN HOSPITAL 19TH FLOOR (PH-19)
ROOM 19-411 OR PH19-414
Please Note Physical Access through PH-19 only!!!!
Instructions for Blood Samples - DNA and Cell lines
The following instructions for drawing blood are to be used with your own kit or with a kit from our recommended suppliers (listed under FAQ’s). An immediate DNA extraction will take place with the blood in the yellow-top tubes. The yellow-top tubes will be used to establish cell lines. If your project requires cell lines, then establishing these is priority. Please draw yellow-top tubes first.
Please try to schedule blood draw appointments Monday through Thursday. If blood is drawn on Friday, samples must be received in the HGRC by 2pm Friday afternoon. If bloods are drawn late Friday or the weekend, please store the tubes at room temperature and send first thing Monday morning. Please note HGRC lab will be closed for all Columbia University holidays. Please contact us if there are unusual circumstances that require weekend or holiday delivery.
1. Use three yellow-top (ACD soln. A) 10 ml Vacutainer tubes to obtain blood.
2. Label each tube with:
3. Fill 10 ml YELLOW TUBES FIRST, followed by the purple-top tubes. If possible, completely fill all tubes.
4. Check that each label contains the correct identification information listed above. Correct any errors on ALL tubes.
5. Invert all tubes six to ten times after drawing blood to thoroughly mix additive with sample.
6. PLEASE STORE AT ROOM TEMPERATURE. DO NOT REFRIGERATE.
7. Ship samples by Federal Express immediately after drawing, unless drawn on Friday (ship Monday morning).
8. Complete the HGRC Biological Sample Form for each sample sent. The form should be emailed or faxed to HGRC before shipping the blood. If this is not possible, include the form in the FedEx package.
9. Once you have established the number of samples you will have and when these will be ready to ship, it is imperative that you submit the Shipment Form ASAP.
If blood is drawn on Friday, store the tubes at room temperature and send first thing Monday morning.
1. Place bloods in a container with appropriate packaging for shipping biological samples. FedEx requires a Diagnostic Pac envelope.
2. Ship samples at room temperature by FedEx next day delivery immediately after drawing. DO NOT SHIP ON Friday OR Saturday.
3. Take entire package to nearest Federal Express shipping office or call 800-238-5355 to schedule a pick-up for the package.
4. Please send the blood sample to the following address:
Marielba Zerlin, PhD
If you have any questions about shipping, please call Marielba Zerlin at the number listed above.
Please note that failure to comply with our instructions puts your study at risk.